Essential Questions and Enduring Understandings
for World Languages
Standard 1: Communication
- Why is it important to communicate in another language?
- How can your communication with a foreign speaker be more meaningful if you speak his or her language?
As the world moves toward a global community, it is increasingly important for World Language study to result in proficiencies that enable students to engage in conversations, interpret authentic materials, and present concepts in a language other than their own.
Standard 2: Cultures
- Why is it important to understand the perspectives (value systems) of another culture?
- How do the products and practices of a culture come from these value systems or perspectives of a culture?
The sharing and learning about customs and products increase studentsí understanding of the cultural perspectives that generate patterns of behavior, ways of life, world views, and contributions in the multiple countries and regions where the language is spoken.
Standard 3: Connections
- How can the study of a World Language enhance your knowledge of other disciplines?
- What can you read about in your World Language that you would not be exposed to in your native language?
As students increase their proficiency in another language, they acquire skills, which empower them to gain knowledge in other disciplines and sensitivity to a variety of viewpoints in the target cultures.
Standard 4 - Comparisons
- How are thought processes organized into the structure of different languages?
- Why do different cultures have different value systems?
Students develop their critical thinking ability as they become aware of the similarities and differences between their first and subsequent languages. In so doing, they gain new perspectives regarding their own language and culture.
Standard 5: Communities
- Where can you use the language other than the classroom?
- How can learning a World Language enrich your life?
Learning a World Language opens doors to a greater variety of career options, increased lifelong learning opportunities, and enhanced leisure activities.